Competition! Win a sailing session on-board our race yacht!
“Future Proofing Our Oceans – The Fight against Marine Litter”
The rising levels of marine litter is putting our oceans under considerable stress with devastating results for our marine life. In support of all the hard work being done by groups the world over, Ireland Ocean Racing wants to shine a light on this problem and mobilise as many people as we can into action. We intend rolling out a programme called “Future Proofing Our Oceans – The Fight against Marine Litter”.
This will be a youth driven initiative and we are calling on TY students to help us develop a sustainable and effective programme over the coming years.
To kick start this initiative, we invite TY students nationwide to enter our competition which will open on the 12 March 2018. Please see details hereafer;
The competition is open to Transition Year Students resident in the Republic of Ireland only.
The competition will open on the Monday, March 12, 2018
Transition Year students must enter the competition as individuals.
Entrants may be asked for a letter of confirmation from their school confirming that they are Transition Year students.
All entries must be emailed to email@example.com.
Deadline for entries is Friday, April 13, 2018
Marine Litter – Causes and Cures
Entrants can choose to focus on both the causes and cures or just one of these aspects
1. Video (no longer than 50 seconds)
2. 10 photos (captioned)
All attachments on emails must be less than 10MB.
You can submit entry by sending us a download link to your video/imagery or by
wetransferring the files
The following criteria will be considered by the judges:
Creativity (originality& relevance): 40 marks
Quality (overall quality of videos, photos): 40 marks
Demonstrate a clear understanding of the topic: 20 marks
The prize consists of a sailing session on board the IOR1, an IMOCA 60 racing yacht for the winner and 7 of his/her classmates. Please note that the applicant and their guests must be a minimum age of 16 on or before the sailing date selected which will be scheduled during the month of May 2018
The winner will also receive a GoPro (model yet to be confirmed)
Important dates to Note:
The competition will open on March 12, 2018
The competition will close April 13, 2018 @ 17:00
The winner will be notified by April 30, 2018
Terms and conditions
Please read the full terms and conditions before you start your project.
Ireland Ocean Racing’s Marine Litter Competition Terms and Conditions (the “Terms and Conditions”)
1. The competition is only open to post primary students who are undertaking Transition Year for the school year 2017 to 2018 and who are resident in the Republic of Ireland.
2. The promoter of this competition is 5 Degrees West Ireland Ocean Racing Ltd (IOR), Old Chiplee House, Blackrock Road, Cork Ireland (Company Registration No. 607654)
3. Each entry must be submitted using the name of the school and it must be accompanied by a letter of consent from the student’s school. Transition Year students must enter the competition as individuals.
4. The prize consists of a sailing session on board the IOR1, an IMOCA 60 racing yacht for the winner and 7 of his/her classmates. The applicant and their guests must be a minimum age of 16 on or before the sailing date selected. At this stage, we can only indicate that this will be during the month of May and any date fixed is subject to change. In addition to receiving this prize, the winner, will also receive a GoPro (model yet to be confirmed). Depending on the quality and creativity of the entries, Ireland Ocean Racing may decide to make a compilation to be screened as part of the bigger initiative at a later date.
5. To enter the competition, entries must be submitted in one of the following formats: 1. Video (no longer than 50 secs) 2. 10 photos (with captions)
6. Entries not submitted in one of the formats specified above, will be automatically disqualified from the competition.
7. Entries must be submitted before April 13th, 2018. (the “Closing Date”).
8. Entries received after the Closing Date will not be included in the competition. Incomplete entries will not be eligible for the competition. IOR is not be responsible for any entries that are not received for any reason by the Closing Date, whether lost, delayed, corrupted or otherwise, and whether or not due to any technical difficulties or malfunctions.
9. IOR accepts no responsibility for difficulties experienced in submitting an entry to the competition, including, but not limited to, incomplete, corrupt or incorrect entries or for any malfunctions, errors or viruses in the software that has been designed to maintain entrants’ details, or for any incompatibility with all, or any, hardware and/or software that entrants may use. IOR does not guarantee that the website will be available at all times or at any specific time.
10. Details of how to enter this competition form part of these Terms and Conditions.
11. All entries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments on emails must be less than 10MB. You can submit entry by sending us a download link to your video/imagery or by wetransferring the files.
12. Entrants will be notified of ineligibility by email. IOR reserves the right to make the final decision on eligibility at its sole discretion.
13. The winner will be notified of selection by April 30, 2018. The winner must confirm receipt of notification before May 7, 2018. Failure to confirm receipt of notification within the stated time will result in disqualification and another winner being selected.
14. The judging panel will include representatives from IOR and independent external parties.
15. The following weighted criteia will be used by each of the judging panels:
1. Creativity (originality): 40 marks
2. Quality of entry (quality of photos, videos and overall presentation): 40 marks
3. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the topic: 20 marks
16.The decision of the judging panel and IOR at all stages of the process are final.
17. Should IOR find that any entry is in breach of these Terms and Conditions at any stage of the competition IOR reserves the right to remove that entry from the process, at its sole discretion.
18. All efforts will be made to see that the winner will receive the prize within thirty (30) working days of the winner confirming receipt of notification from IOR. The winner’s full name, school and their entry may be published on various sources including press releases, photo call and video for use across national and local print, broadcast and online media whether by IOR or otherwise.
19. Entry content and material remain the property of the entrants but may be used by IOR for promotion, marketing, advertising, exhibition and publication purposes, without media, time, use or geographic limitation. If entrants have a project with elements that have commercial potential, it is recommended that they consider patent protection.
20. For the avoidance of doubt, all entrants applying to enter the competition (or their lawful parents or guardians or parents in respect of entrants under the age of 18) shall be deemed by virtue of the submission of an entry and completion of the entry process to have agreed to the use of photographs and entry content and material in the manner and for the purpose of these Terms and Conditions.
21. By entering the competition, the winners agree to attend a prize presentation and photocall at IOR.
22. All applicants agree to participate in publicity relating to the promotion of the competition, if requested to do so by IOR.
23. The prizes must be taken as offered, is not redeemable and there is no other alternative to the prizes. Should the selected winner be unable or unwilling to fulfil these criteria, he or she will forfeit the prizes.
24. The prizes are non-transferable.
25. The prizes may change at any time without notification and is subject to availability.
26. Any expenses incurred by the winner and any person accompanying the winner with regard to travel, and in the general use and/or enjoyment of any prize, are the sole responsibility of the said persons.
27. IOR reserves the right at its sole discretion to alter or substitute the prizes with any items of equal or greater value for any reason and without notification.
28. IOR does not take responsibility for any delays or difficulties experienced in the supply or use of the prizes.
29. IOR reserves the right to amend or withdraw the competition in the event of any unforeseen circumstances outside its reasonable control.
30. IOR reserves the right to terminate or temporarily suspend this competition in the event of technical or other difficulties that might compromise its integrity.
31. The competition and these Terms and Conditions are governed by Irish law and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish courts.
32. Any disclaimer of liability by IOR under these Terms and Conditions is enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law. Each of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions is severable and if any such provision is held by any court or other competent authority to be illegal, void or unenforceable in whole or in part, the legality, validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of these Terms and Conditions shall not be affected or impaired.
Any disclaimer of liability by IOR under these Terms and Conditions is enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law. Each of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions is severable and if any such provision is held by any court or other competent authority to be illegal, void or unenforceable in whole or in part, the legality, validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of these Terms and Conditions shall not be affected or impaired.